A Piece of Home at NMMI

By Cadet Sierra Walker

Having a sister at New Mexico Military Institute is great. But, there’s something even better than having one sister at NMMI… having TWO! This is my sixth year at the institute, and I have been blessed with having the opportunity to attend the last five years with at least one of my three sisters. Two of my younger sisters, Mia and Tessa, are currently enrolled here at NMMI.  Mia is a junior, and Tessa is a freshman.

I love that I’ve had the chance to attend school with my sisters because it has brought us all closer together. We spend a lot of time here with each other. My favorite time to spend together is in the dining hall.  I love eating with them because we get to talk about our day and fill each other in on things that are going on. Before we came to NMMI, my family and I would sit down every evening at dinner and go around the table saying one good thing and one bad thing about our day. Eating dinner with them brings that little piece of home here to NMMI.

NMMI has provided us with many opportunities to spend time together. We all run cross country and track, so we get to see each other every day for practice. Having a sister here is awesome. The best part is that I always have a friend, or two, that I can count on no matter what. We have formed a special bond that we will share forever.

I am so grateful that I have been able to spend my last year here at the Institute with Mia and Tessa. Next year I will be in a different school and that will limit our time together. I am cherishing these moments I have with them now because I may never get to experience an opportunity like this again.