Gaining Work Experience at NMMI

By: Cadet Alejandro Rojas

I’ve been at NMMI since I was a sophomore in high school, and I am currently a freshman in college. I always knew that here at the institute I had the opportunity to work in different places, such as the ropes course, the admissions office, or being a life guard at the pool in the gym.  I also knew that I could get my first work experience and make some money for my personal expenses throughout my time here.

My third year here, when I was a senior, I decided to apply for a job at the admissions office. I was hired and started working right away. This was one of the best decisions I made during my time at NMMI, and I wish I would’ve done it sooner. I have the opportunity to go into the admissions office during my free periods and do several things in the office. I help the high school and college counselors with whatever they need, as well as assisting the data processors by making and sorting files.

We do plenty of things in the office, like making packages that are sent out to prospective students who are interested in attending the school. We also give tours to families who come to see the campus throughout the school year, so they can hear from the cadets about how life is here at the Institute. Also, we promote the school on social media. I have my own account on Instagram dedicated to posting pictures related to the school and events that we have so others can see what is happing at the school.

I have had the opportunity to work with fellow cadets, as well as faculty members who have been very supportive to all cadets, including myself, who help out in the office. Being able to work here has given me the chance to help my parents back home by letting them save some money, since I don’t always have to ask them for money, aside from the tuition. Like I mentioned, my only regret is not doing it sooner.

I am very grateful towards this school and the people in the admissions office for the opportunity to gain some work experience before and during college, as well as a monthly source of income. This has helped me out quite a bit since I have enough money to go out in Roswell with my friends to enjoy some nice food, as well as to go on road trips on the weekends to visit friends in other places in New Mexico, Arizona, and Texas.